ANNA PAULA BARBOSA DE CARVALHO GÓES
Practice AreasEnvironment (advisory and litigation), civil and commercial litigation.
+55 21 2114 1700
Lawyer with more than 20 years of experience in the field of large scale civil law litigation (disputes involving civil, commercial, corporate, administrative and consumer law) and with specialization in the environmental area.
She has experience in consultancy and litigation concerning environmental matters, among which: (i) assistance in the granting of licenses and governmental authorizations; (ii) negotiation of Terms of Commitment; (iii) environmental due diligence reports; (iv) defense of client´s interests in civil investigations and lawsuits; (iv) assistance in the conduct of criminal investigations and (v) enforcement of compliance/emergency programs.
She represents clients of different segments (steel, hospital, pharmaceutical, banking, oil and gas, energy, among others sectors) in strategic judicial proceedings.
- Post-Graduation Lato Sensu in the Environment by the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (COPPE/UFRJ), 1999.
- Bachelor of Law from the Pontifical Catholic University (PUC/RJ), 1992.
Publications and Seminars
- She wrote, as a co-author, the following article: “A arbitragem como instrumento para a solução de controvérsias ambientais”, published in MILARÉ, ÉDIS (Coord), JARDIM DE MORAIS, ROBERTA (Coord), SANTOS ARTIGAS, PRISCILA (Coord), COENTRO DE ALMEIDA, ANDRÉ LUÍS (Coord). Infraestrutura no Direito do Ambiente. Editora Revista dos Tribunais, 2016.
- Participation, as speaker, in Seminars promoted by International Business Communications – IBC, Instituto Brasileiro do Petróleo – IBP and Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- She was recommended by Best Lawyers in Brazil (2020).
- She was recommended by Latin Lawyer 250 (2020).
- Represented Specific Purpose Companies in a precautionary action aiming at the maintenance of contracts for the supply of equipment for the electric sector, in the approximate amount of R$800,000,000.00 (eight hundred million reais);
- Participated in the review and adaptation of documents submitted to an environmental control body to regulate the environmental licensing of an international airport of large size;
- Represented clients in administrative proceedings carried out by environmental control body for decommissioning of contaminated sites;
- Defended the interests of foreign investors in oil exploration projects (Barracuda, EVM, Cabiúnas, among others);
- Defended the interests of clients of various segments questioning bidding procedures;
- Defended clients in proceedings brought before the Federal Budget Oversight Board (“Tribunal de Contas da União”) in order to avoid application of financial penalties and the prohibition of contracting with the public authorities;
- Represented clients in precautionary measures in anticipation of arbitration; and
- Acted in judicial probate proceedings involving the control of family-owned businesses.
- Portuguese, English and French.