SVMFA’s participation in gas projects goes back to the 90’s with the privatization of gas distribution companies. Over the years, the firm has represented shippers in negotiation of gas supply and transportation agreements and participated in negotiation and structuring of capacity release operations associated to the Bolivia-Brazil (GASBOL) pipeline. Our lawyers represent sponsors, lenders, operators and owners in cross-border transactions for the funding and construction of pipelines and gas distribution, compression and storage facilities.
The firm has also been involved in the review of the open season rules handed down by the Brazilian National Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency for the expansion of the pipeline transportation capacity. Our lawyers have been deeply involved in the review and discussions of the new regulatory framework for gas transportation in Brazil and in public and legislative hearings in connection with the Gas Law and its regulations.
More recently, due to the rise of shale gas exploration worldwide and particularly in Latin America, the office has been assisting companies interested in developing opportunities in Brazil. Recent studies estimate the Brazilian recoverable shale gas resources in 225 trilling cubic feet, most of which located at the Parnaiba and São Francisco basins.
How we can help:
• Local Gas Distribution Companies (LDCs) Association (ABEGÁS).
• LDCs and state authorities regarding the new regulations for the unbundling of natural gas markets.
• Sponsors on the implementation of LNG, REGAS and FSRU projects.
• Projects for the exploration and production of non conventional gas engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, build-operate-transfer (BOT) operations, financing and structuring of guarantees for pipeline construction.
• Negotiation of easements and rights-of-way with real estate owners and governmental authorities for the construction of pipeline infrastructure.
• Securing governmental licenses, permits and authorizations for the implementation of all phases of the natural gas chain, including for construction and operation of gas-fired power plants.