GUILHERME G. SCHMIDT
Energy | Infrastructure | Regulatory | Contracts | Arbitration | Fusions and acquisitions
+55 21 2114 1700
Guilherme has an extensive practice in energy, regulatory, M&A, corporate and infrastructure transactions.
From 1990 to 1993, he worked in the legal department of Shell in Brazil. After that, he joined a well-known Brazilian law firm where he became a partner in 1996 acting in energy, infrastructure, corporate, M&A and regulatory law. He was a visiting associate at O’Melveny &Myers LLP, New York, from 1998 to 1999. He was also partner at another important local firm for six years, where he was responsible for the above-mentioned areas.
- In the last years, has worked in several complex projects such as the acquisition of a Concessionaire in the Power Distribution in the State of São Paulo involving USD 2,4 billion and the construction of an Oil Calcinated Coque Plant involving USD660 million. He has also participated in several regulatory cases representing associations and national and international clients in complex matters in the electric energy sector.
- He was a guest professor of National and International Contracts for the MBA in Technology Law, and of Contractual Relations in the New Energy Model for the MBA in Energy Management for Fundação Getúlio Vargas.
Awards and recognitions
- He has been nominated by Chambers and Partners in Corporate/M&A, Projects and Energy and Natural Resources.
- In particular area, he has also been listed by Expert Guides. In the Energy sector and in the Oil & Gas field he was highlighted by Who’s Who Legal year after year.
- Latin Lawyer 250 has also mentioned him in Energy, Projects & Infrastructure, Corporate & M&A and Administrative law areas.
- He was also referred by Legal 500 in Natural Resources – Electricity.
- He was recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” for his work in Energy Law and recommended in the following areas: Arbitration and Mediation, Construction Law, Corporate and M&A, Natural Resources and Oil & Gas by Best Lawyers, since 2010.
- Brazilian Anuário Análise Advocacia has recognized him as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil in Infrastructure and Regulatory areas.
- President of the Infrastructure and Economic Development Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association – Section RJ, from 2022-2024.
- Admitted to Portuguese Bar Association.
- President of the Infrastructure and Economic Development Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association – Section RJ, from 2019-2021.
- Member of the Ethics Council of OAB/RJ, since 2017.
- Member of the Board of the Brazilian Bar Association – Section RJ, in the periods 2016-2018, 2019-2021 and 2022-2024.
- Post-graduated in Tax Law from Universidade Cândido Mendes. Graduated from the Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (UERJ).
- Portuguese, English and Spanish.